Vasco Narciso dos Santos
Born in Porto on 1/1/1920, son of Francisco Manuel dos Santos, he moved to Lisbon in April, 1921, where he was educated: first at Colégio Infante Sagres and then later at Liceu Pedro Nunes. In 1939, he entered the Instituto Superior de Ciências Económicas e Financeiras and, in 1941, he began working at Jerónimo Martins, as a student-worker. In 1943, during the Second World War, he interrupted his studies to complete his military service in the Azores. After completing his time in the forces, he returned to the company, working in every one of the company sections. From March, 1954, onwards, in parallel with his work at Jerónimo Martins, he was nominated Director of Sociedade Francisco Manuel dos Santos and, on its behalf, began presiding over the General Meetings of the Estabelecimentos Jerónimo Martins & Fº. In May, 1963, he was appointed head of the main business area: the importation and distribution of groceries. He was also responsible for the exports sector; initially for the Portuguese colonies and Canada; and later for the Middle East, a part of the world that was receptive to Portuguese products at the time. In March, 1969, he was nominated Head of Estabelecimentos Jerónimo Martins & Fº, and in April 1971, he was elected Director responsible for the Upla Plastics Plant and the Excelsior Chocolates Factory. In November, 1978, and until the end of 1979, as a representative of Jerónimo Martins, he was designated a Director of the recently constituted Sociedade Pingo Doce. In March, 1980, he made the change from executive director to non-executive director and in October, 1989, he was elected as non-executive President of the Board of Directors of the Jerónimo Martins Group, a position he held until 1996, the year in which he retired.